Dogs do have rituals too!
Do you want to understand why a dog licks your face excitingly whenever he/she sees you? Or why does your dog buries bones? Are you planning to have a dog or are you a dog owner who wants to understand certain canine greeting, hunting and feeding rituals? Apparently, certain dog rituals could be explained by trying to look on how they were raised, trained or simply their basic animal instincts.
You may also find your dog jumping on you or on your visitors, which may also be considered normal for them to do. Most people punish or scold their dogs for behaving normally but inappropriate which causes the dog to feel uneasy and tense. Understanding so, it is advised that instead of expressing dismay to your dog’s behavior, you may try to divert this behavior by giving them toys as a form of distraction or an alternative outlet for their excitement and energy.
Ever wonder how dog play works? Well, dog play could basically involve any of these: staring, chasing, nipping, shaking or grabbing. Though dogs may manifest some of these behaviors, it does not necessarily mean all of those should be seen on their dog play. Do not worry if your dog would only enjoy running around unlike other dogs that would wrestle, grab a toy and look like it would tear it apart—your dog is still completely normal.
For those who do not know, these dog play actions are hunting behaviors for survival. Just like their canine relatives such as wolves, your pet dog still shares the same hunting behaviors. Over excitement of dogs could lead from dog play to dog riot. A simple dog play between perfectly normal pet dogs could lead to rumble. So be on the lookout because it may cause pain for your pet.
Ever find your dog burying bones or their toys on your lawn weird? As a part of survival and feeding, it is a normal behavior for dogs to hoard. Still sharing this common normal trait with their wild relatives, hoarding or caching is just a normal act for them to do. You may even find your sweetest and lovable poodle hoarding kernels or kibbles underneath their dog beds or blankets. It is somehow their way of protecting their food, but some of them end up lost or forgotten in due time.
So are you ready to start anew with your pet dog or your future pet? Hopefully, this might have given you a new light in understanding how a seemingly weird behavior of dogs is actually perfectly normal for them.
A skateboarding Japanese bulldog called Bazooka is the latest internet sensation. Some very entertaining film of Bazooka riding his board in aTokyo park is proving a huge hit at places like this BBC website.
The only problem Bazooka’s owner has is that Bazooka loves to eat his skateboard too, which is proving rather expensive.
This is far from the most unusual eating habit we’ve heard of, however. Dogs can get cravings to eat the most bizarre things.
This need to eat non-food items is known as pica and can involve dogs consuming anything from linoleum to electrical cords, coins and clothing to kitchen knives.
Scientists think the condition is the result of factors such as stress, obsessive-compulsive disorders and brain damage. It can also be caused by sheer hunger.
Needless to say, this can be dangerous. Among the stranger things dogs enjoy consuming is anti-freeze, which many dogs lap up when it leaks from car radiators on to roads or garage floors. Antifreeze contains a sweet-tasting chemical called ethylene glycol, which is a powerful stimulant to the dog’s sweet taste buds. Small amounts of antifreeze can cause “drunkennessa”, vomiting, depression and diarrhoea.
We all know that dogs love sweet things. Given half a chance they will gobble down any sugary treat that is lying around. But why?
Scientists think it is linked with their genetic ancestry. In the wild, dogs and wolves eat a diet that is 80 per cent meat. The other 20 per cent of their diet comes from plant and fruits. The sweet tooth has developed because dogs react positively to the sweet tasting chemical furaneol which is present in many fruits and especially in tomatoes. This explains why – after a tasty plate of meat – our dogs’ next favourite meals are sweet tasting ones.
This sweet tooth can get dogs into trouble, of course. Chocolate can be poisonous dogs, for instance. This is because it contains high levels of theobromine which is a cardiac stimulant and diuretic. Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are particularly bad for dogs. A 10kg dog can become seriously ill by eating half of a 250g block of cooking chocolate. It may experience nausea, palpitations and even a heart attack. So owners should always be careful to ration the amount of sweets and chocolate they feed their dogs, giving them healthier treats and snacks, like those shown below, instead.
Here are a few products that your dog will love!