Can you imagine being lucky enough to be able to meet litters of puppies everyday of the week! Well that is exactly what the members of our Breeders Relations Team get to do. Are you envious? I know I am. But on one happy day, your blog writer got to go ride along on a […]
Pedigree, it is a word that we hear about dogs all the time, it is even the name of a popular dog food brand! But it is something that many people who love dogs don’t quite understand or realise the importance of. A Kennel Club is something all dog owners have heard of too, but do […]
This is a question that comes up again and again on different Q/A websites
and forums on the internet. In this post, we’ll try to shed some light on the real answer, instead of letting people guess and come to all the wrong conclusions.
The first misbelief is that a reputable breeder needs no help selling his or her puppies. What’s more, a reputable breeder has people lined up, eagerly waiting for the next litter to arrive so that they can get their hands on one of the puppies. More often than not, this is simply not the case.
This is a question that a lot of people ask, when looking for the right puppy. With so many dog breeds, and so many breeders out there, one is left wide-eyed and uncertain. But first to answer this question, we must ask: what is a reliable dog breeder?
Points to consider when looking for a trustworthy dog breeder:
• How long has the breeder been involved with this particular breed? If it is a recently declared popular breed be cautious of someone who has jumped on the bandwagon to earn a few quick bucks. They may not have the best interests of the breed at heart.
• Does the breeder produce dogs that differ from the typical examples of the breed? Deviations that don’t conform to the breed standard; sold as “rare” should not be ignored. Non-standard variations of purebred dogs (eg. white Dobermans, longhaired Whippets, miniature Dalmatians, etc.) are undesirable by trustworthy breeders.
• Are the animals being bred actually purebred dogs belonging to a breed recognized by some legitimate registry?
• How knowledgeable is the breeder about the particular breed?
• Does the breeder show their dogs in conformation, obedience, agility, Schutzhund, field work, etc. to prove their dogs’ quality as breeding stock?
• Is the breeder “kennel blind”, believing that their dogs are perfect, or can they tell you the strengths and weaknesses of their particular dogs? What is their goal in breeding?
• How many breeds does the breeder breed? A Jack-of-all-Breeds truly is a master of none.
• Does the breeder socialize his puppies?
When all else fails, and you have no time, energy and enough knowledge to find the most reliable dog breeder, there is the best alternative solution: leave it up to someone who knows more or everything about dog breeders and canine care. Why spend time on something that others make their life-work? You don’t have to go any further: Euro Puppy is the answer! We can freely answer the above questions and put your mind at ease…..Please read further….