5 Key Facts about a Dog’s Pedigree
Pedigree, it is a word that we hear about dogs all the time, it is even the name of a popular dog food brand. But it is something that many people who love dogs don’t quite understand or realise the importance of. A Kennel Club is something all dog owners have heard of too, but do we all know exactly what they do. So if you are thinking of getting a new puppy and what to understand what the pedigree and the Kennel Clubs do for you then find all the answers.
- Pedigree - What does it mean.
- It is the record of descent of an animal, showing past family generations, basically a canine family tree.
- A Pedigree can only be for a purebred puppy so having one of these proves that the puppy is not mixed bred.
- THE DOCUMENT!
- name of sire (father) and dam (mother)
- names of other ancestors, to the number of generations required by the issuing organization, should be at least 3 generations
- Details of the litter this animal came from
- The colour and markings of the puppy
- Name, address and registered number of the breeder (often defined as the owner of the female at the time of the animal's conception or birth)
- Why is a Pedigree Important For You
- When do you NOT Require a Pedigree?
- What a pedigree doesn’t mean!